Friday, December 10, 2010

The Sandman Volume 4: Season of Mist

The first graphic novel I chose to read for this project was Neil Gaiman's Sandman volume 4. Why volume 4 and not 1? The short answer is that it's the only one that I own. Basically, I'm a fan of super-hero comics. I read the classics, and have been known to check out some weird indie stuff, but I mostly read super-hero stuff. I have this copy of The Sandman, because I ended up with it at the end of a particularly nasty break-up with a girl. I can't remember if she gave me the book as a gift, or if I just ended up with it when we stopped speaking.

Anyway, in regards to the book, I liked it. The story was very heavy, but the characters were nicely developed. I read this several years ago, but did not remember the story being so interesting. Basically, Dream (Sandman) gets the key to Hell, because Lucifer doesn't want it any more. Then a bunch of characters from various mythologies show up and want to make a deal so Hell can be theirs.

Reviewing Neil Gaiman's Sandman is a lot like a film reviewer reviewing Forest Gump. It's pretty much loved by all comic-fans. Now I'm a few pages into another acclaimed Graphic Novel: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment